A pediatric ophthalmologist conducts diagnostics and treatment of eye diseases in children from the infant age and up to 18 years. Prophylactic examination of a pediatric ophthalmologist is necessary for the child in 1 year and then annually.
In addition to prophylactic examinations, you should contact the optometrist if you find the following manifestations of the child:
- impaired vision;
- dry eyes or watery eyes;
- a purulent discharge from the eyes;
- redness of the eyes sclera;
- trauma of the eye.
If a child wears glasses, check the compliance of lenses with visual acuity 1-2 times a year. Children with endocrinology or renal pathologies should be consulted by optometrist for sure.
Even at the first examination the doctor will conduct a full vision diagnostics:
- external eye examination;
- check the visual acuity;
- will conduct testing to eliminate strabismus;
- examines the eye fundus by ophthalmoscopy;
- explores the fields of vision;
- will check binocular vision (when strabismus is detected);
- if necessary, the anterior chamber of the eye and vitreous body is examined with a slit lamp;
- makes diagnosis (preliminary or final);
- will give recommendations or prescribe a treatment;
if necessary, will appoint a following visit for monitoring and correction of treatment.