With the help of specialized equipment and professional doctors, Ameda Family Clinic carries out ultrasound examinations even of newborns.
It is hard to imagine qualified medical control over the correct development of the child, as well as diagnosing of many diseases and developmental anomalies, without ultrasound –– one of the most effective diagnostic methods.
There are several ultrasound methods that have found their application in pediatrics.
During the first 3 months of life, the following ultrasound scans are recommended:
- Cerebral ultrasound or neurosonography that helps detect brain damage at the stage of fetal development or during complicated delivery, as well as brain development abnormalities, inflammation and hydrocephalus (cerebral edema); in some cases, neurosonography is complemented with ultrasound Doppler examination, allowing to assess the state of the blood supply to the brain;
- Ultrasound of the hip joints enables not only to identify the hypoplasia of the hip joint, but also to determine the degree of underdevelopment, which is very important for choosing the method of treatment;
- Kidney ultrasound helps detect abnormalities in the development of the urinary system, which may have no clinical manifestations in children for a long time.
Apart from the above-mentioned methods, at Ameda Family Clinic children can have ultrasound scans of other organs:
Heart, when congenital heart disease is suspected: Echocardiography and Doppler examination;
- Organs of the abdominal cavity (liver, gall bladder, spleen, pancreas);
- Thymus gland;
- Inguinal and scrotal areas to exclude inguinal hernia, hydrocele, cryptorchidism (with the specification of its location).
Considering that ultrasound is absolutely safe, it can be performed from the very birth of the baby and repeated many times, if necessary.